Public Affairs Director Italy
The beverage carton industry and its European association, ACE
ACE members include beverage carton producers Tetra Pak, SIG Combibloc and Elopak; they develop, manufacture and market systems for the packaging and distribution of food, and produce packaging material at 20 plants in Europe. A great majority of the paperboard used by ACE members in beverage cartons in Europe is produced by Stora Enso and BillerudKorsnäs who are also members of ACE.
ACE provides a European platform for beverage carton manufacturers and their paperboard suppliers to benchmark and profile cartons as renewable, recyclable and low carbon packaging solutions. Engaging with stakeholders and partners seeking high environmental stewardship, it contributes expertise to EU policy, legislation and standard‐setting.
The beverage carton industry is represented in 8 EU member States + Norway by beverage carton national associations.
ACE’s mandate is to represent the interests of its members at European level and to coordinate action at EU and national level on advocacy and communications.
ACE is seeking to extend its presence in some key EU Member States/regions through the presence of a representative in the industry who will advocate and communicate on behalf of the industry.
The industry seeks to hire a 50% FTE.
The Public Affairs Director for Italy will shape, drive and implement the advocacy and communication strategy of the beverage carton industry in Italy to ensure a regulatory environment that supports the beverage carton industry objectives and positions the industry as sustainable and low carbon.
- Manage relevant policy issues related to bioeconomy, environment (incl. waste, EPR for packaging, single use plastics), sustainability (incl. climate) and Food Contact Material policies;
- Build and manage relationships with decision makers, government officials and agencies and their key influencers;
- Lead the development and implementation of advocacy campaigns to support the carton industry’s objectives;
- Shape and execute industry communication campaigns via print and social media; represent the industry in events and media;
- Advise, support and closely collaborate with the local teams of the ACE members on all advocacy and communication matters; advise and support the development and enforcement of the industry EU advocacy and communication.
The Public Affairs Director will be part of the ACE EU Team reporting to the ACE Director General. She/he will be part of the ACE Regulatory Affairs Working Group, and work in close cooperation with the network of Beverage Carton National Associations and with relevant representatives of ACE members in respective markets.
The Public Affairs Director shall support and implement the regulatory affairs strategy and Operating Plan in order to meet the objectives defined jointly with the ACE Board of Directors by:
- Monitoring local/national policy and regulatory developments
- Build and manage relationship with governments and policy stakeholders in close collaboration with local ACE members;
- Build and manage coalitions with key influencers; leverage on existing networks of local ACE members and create new ones; secure carton industry representation in key industry associations and networks.
- Develop and lead the implementation of advocacy strategies in respective markets building on the industry EU advocacy strategy and in close collaboration with local ACE members.
- Advise and support the development of a pan-European communication strategy; lead and coordinate the implementation of communication campaigns and external positioning.
- Closely cooperate with the ACE team and the Beverage Carton National Associations.
Experience and skills
- Minimum 6-8 years of professional experience gained in a similar work area; preferably related to food and beverage or packaging industry.
- Degree in environmental sciences, policy and public affairs, communication or similar.
- Established political network.
- Experience in regulatory affairs and advocacy.
- Understanding of EU policy process an advantage.
Languages: Fluent in written and spoken English. Italian.
- Knowledge of the packaging industry, global institutions, advocacy, recycling.
- Networking and communication skills. Strong ability to build relationships and coalitions.
- Ability to develop and implement effective and practical advocacy solutions and campaigns.
- Self-going personality with good inter-personal skills, culturally sensitive, good understanding of the corporate environment and leadership.